October is already here! Where has the time gone?! October is a special month for us at Bernstein Orthodontics because it also happens to be National Orthodontic Health Month! To get in the spirit, we’ve compiled some pretty interesting facts about orthodontics below. We hope you enjoy (and maybe learn a thing or two!).
DID YOU KNOW….
- Orthodontics is dentistry’s oldest specialty — it became a specialty in the early 1930s!
- In the 1900’s, braces were made of GOLD! Yikes imagine that bill.
- Mummies have been found with metal bands around their teeth — perhaps early orthodontics at work?
- Some of the most famous celebrities have worn braces as adults including Tom Cruise and Gwen Stefani!
- Almost 70% of people in the US need some sort of orthodontic treatment
- Wearing braces does NOT increase your chances of getting struck by lighning — PHEW!
- Approximately 4 million people in the US have braces right now!
- Braces aren’t just for kids! More than 1 million adults in North America are receiving orthodontic treatment
- The American Association of Orthodontists recommends all kids see an orthodontist for an initial evaluation by age 7
- The wires used in today’s braces that are activated by body heat were originally developed by NASA for use in the space program
So there you have it. 10 super awesome facts about braces that you probably didn’t know. And if you did, you’re probably a genius!